About the NUD Low-Income Discount Program
Clean, safe drinking water and reliable wastewater services are essential needs for everyone. The District works to run efficiently and keep rates as low and affordable as possible. But we know that some customers with low or fixed incomes have difficulty affording these basic services.
Recognizing the need, the Board of Commissioners has sought measures to provide a lower-cost option for qualifying low-income customers in the form of discounts and rebates.
For the 2019-2020 year, the program will be effective with billing cycles going forward from July 15, 2019.
Who is eligible for the program?
To be eligible, customers must provide proof they meet the following conditions:
- Full-time residency at the address receiving utility service.
- Income qualifications: the combined annual income of all adult household members must not exceed 50 percent of the King County Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) area median household income (AMI) for the defined number of persons in the household.
- Utility bill payment: Directly-billed customers must prove they receive and submit payments to the District. Indirectly-billed customers must prove they pay District utility charges to a third-party – apartment or mobile park complex office, landlord, or other agent.
How will the discount work?
For the initial year, the following residential discount percentages will be used for qualified low-income customers:
- WATER: 45% of the base water rate
- SEWER: 50% of the base sewer rate (not including King County's portion of the base rate)
Directly billed eligible customers (served from a single water meter) will receive a discounted rate on their bi-monthly bill.
Indirectly billed eligible customers (served from a shared metered connection will receive a rebate check on an annual basis. The amount will be the difference between the full base rate and the discounted rate.
How do I apply?
Fill out the form below that bests fits your situation and submit the completed, signed and dated form with all required documents to prove eligibility to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to Northshore Utility District / attention: "Billing" / 6830 NE 185th St / Kenmore, WA 98028.
Our office will contact you to confirm your eligibility and enrollment in the program.
Your effective date will begin with your first billing cycle after all application documents have been received and processed.
Questions or need help?
Please contact our office at (425) 398-4402 or email@example.com if you have any questions about the program or need help completing the application.
Low-Income Discount Program Documents
- Low-Income Discount Program Guidelines [PDF]
- Application for Directly-Billed Customers [PDF] - use this if you pay your water/sewer bill directly to the District.
- Application for Indirectly-Billed Customers [PDF] - use this if you pay for water/sewer through rent or as a separate charge to a property owner, agent, or third party.